What are my middle and last name change options?

Name Change Due to Marriage

Your legal name change document is your marriage certificate.

If your marriage certificate lists a Married Name, then this is the only name you can change to.

If your marriage certificate does not list a Married Name, then you have the following last and middle name options:

Married Last name options:

  1. Take your spouse’s last name
  2. Hyphenate your current last name with your spouse’s last name
  3. Create a non-hyphenated double last name using your current last name and your spouse’s last name

Married Middle name options:

  1. Keep your current middle name
  2. Replace your current middle name with your maiden last name (note, if you don't have a middle name you can move your maiden last name to create a new middle name)
  3. Create a double middle name using your current middle name and your maiden last name

Name Change Due to Divorce

Your legal name change document is your divorce decree or court order. Most divorce decrees list a post-divorce name (i.e. birth name or maiden name).

If your divorce decree or court order is finalized and does not contain post-divorce name language, we suggest checking with your court to modify or amend the divorce decree to include such language that would specifically list your desired post-divorce name.

Please email us at support@newlynamed.com if you have any questions regarding last and middle name options.