What are my middle and last name change options?
Name Change Due to Marriage
If your marriage certificate does not list a Married Name, then you have the following last and middle name options:
Married Last name options:
- Take your spouse’s last name
- Hyphenate your current last name with your spouse’s last name
- Create a non-hyphenated double last name using your current last name and your spouse’s last name
Married Middle name options:
- Keep your current middle name
- Replace your current middle name with your maiden last name (note, if you don't have a middle name you can move your maiden last name to create a new middle name)
- Create a double middle name using your current middle name and your maiden last name
Your legal name change document is your divorce decree or court order. Most divorce decrees list a post-divorce name (i.e birth name or maiden name).